Popeye

Atari 2600
Released 1983

This is an odd game that I remember playing a lot of when I was younger. It starts up with the classic Popeye theme, or the closest they could get to it with their cutting edge audio sampling. Then you control the spinach man himself as he tries to avoid the yellow jumping mess of pixels that I only assume is Bluto, along with the yellow bricks he, and the sides of the screen, throw at you. While doing this, a strange red mass walks around at the top of the screen. Since the Popeye franchise centered around Popeye, Bluto and Olive, I assume this is Olive. Olive occasionally pulls off pieces of herself and tosses them off the platform, and it's up to Popeye to catch them. You also have a flashing dot that shifts around and if you punch it, you become invulnerable and can destroy Bluto. Olive inexplicably refuses to throw any more pieces of herself during this time of invulnerability.
Once you collect 20 pieces of Olive, you move onto the next level
This is the most accurate recreation of the cartoon series around, if you ask me.

I was never able to pass the second level. I think I just played it for the music. I couldn't find the instructions for this, so I'm working entirely under assumptions of what is actually going on.
----------------
Now playing: Brendon Small - Murmaider
via FoxyTunes

No comments: